Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thurs, 4th Jan 2007

Grav Lax

The fillets had been marinating in the fridge for a few days now - today I decided to take them out for a peek and taste test.
They had been wrapped in plastic film tightly and I found some water residue inside the plastic. It was fortunate that I had wrapped them into individual plastic bags and there was no overflow in the pan which they were sitting in.
The coriander grav lax - drained and placed on a plate. It looked translucent and had developed a slightly rubbery look. The chopped coriander maintained their greeness.
So far, so good. Proceed to slicing and tasting. Oh my my, what an explosion of tastes - the fresh green flavour of coriander, the peppercorns, and the hint of sweetness from the brown sugar! Oh I am so happy :P

A close up. (You can see I am not very good in taking close-ups - I use a Casio Exilim 6.0 mega pixels with 3.0 optical zoom - if there are any photographers reading this, I would be grateful for some tips - thank you!).


And now for the dill grav lax.


Dill is a sweetish herb and this sweetness had penetrated right into the core of the salmon - although prepared in a very similar fashion, it was different in taste from the coriander grav lax, largely due to the herb used.


This was cut from the end so it had lots of pepper clinging onto the surface but I love pepper anyway so I ate it. Yummm and I can't wait to serve these little treasures on little circles of toasted bread with a bit sour cream and a glass or two of flinty Chablis...... ooohhhh......

2 comments:

anakbrunei said...

Hi E!

It was great meeting you and Hazel at Emma's the other night! Your grav lax is making me salivate! Heheheh!

Re pictures, try setting the camera to Macro (that little flower like icon) when taking the picture, and make sure you have as much ambient light as possible coming from all directions. Direct flash on food is a no no unless u have the right tools.

Cheers!!

Eleanor said...

ok I found the flower icon - and I'll try it next time! Thanks for the tips and it was a pleasure to meet you to.