Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sun, 4th March 2007

Mum made one of my favourite Cantonese dessert - Water chestnut cake - I think she makes it from a water chestnut flour which she had brought from HK, chopped fresh water chestnuts and sugar and is there some oil too?.... I must get the recipe from her. She used white sugar but she told me brown sugar will impart a nicer colour to the cake. This greyish quivery looking slab is very very delicious - it is springy & squidy & chewy, and the chopped crunchy water chestnuts lends a lovely texture to the cake.



The best way to eat this is to cut it into slices, and panfry with a little oil, till the surface is slightly golden brown and caramelised. This is a childhood favourite of mine which Mum makes whenever she visits or when we do. I love it.


In HK, you will find this in all dim sum restaurants, from your humble neighbourhood joint to the swankiest fine-dining dim sum establishment. Do try it if you get a chance to, perhaps in Singapore or KL. It is however not served in Brunei restaurants as the water chestnut flour is not available here.
p.s I am having a slice right now with my green tea - yummy.

No comments: