Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Home cooking

A nice plate of healthy greens with lots of garlic.


Here we have 2 slices of meat cooked with yam.
This is quite special as it requires lengthy preparation. First, the meat is cleaned thoroughly and boiled lightly. After that, you use a fork to prick all over the skin to create lots of tiny holes, after which you apply a light coat of dark soy and fry till the skin is crispy. Then braising begins, with garlic, shallots, ginger, cinnamon stick & five spice powder, dark soy, rock sugar and some oyster sauce. THEN remove and arrange yam/meat in layers in a bowl, pour gravy over and steam for 2 hours till meat is tender. But oh so delicious and Mum showed us the method - I know how to make this now!

2 comments:

Katie-Ella said...

Eleanor, I love that dish!! Are you Hakka? Apparently it's a traditional Hakka dish. It's been years since I've had it; the next time I am home I will definitely ask my Mum to cook it. I'm so jealous, eat another piece for me...:)

Eleanor said...

Hello Katie-Ella! No, I'm Cantonese but I think the Hakka method of preparation for this dish is the same as the Cantonese. I'm sure your mum will cook it for you the next time you're home - but if she's busy, give me a shout - I'll be glad to cook this for you! Bestrgds,E.