Sunday, April 08, 2007

Thurs, 5th Apr 2007

I always have a little giggle when I see contestants gagging/crying and being well and thoroughly grossed out and sickened by these eggs which they have to eat, as one of their 'challenges', on shows such as 'Fear Factor' and 'I bet you will'.



To the uninitiated, I must admit they are quite a gruesome sight and colour. Tastewise, like strong cheese, belachan, durian, escargots and the like, it's simply something you love or hate and eat or don't. I really don't think you can be 'in between'. Mum used to tell me that a sign of a 'good' century egg is the snowflake like markings in them.

I will only eat century eggs in my porridge and this was what we had last Thursday. Meatball rice porridge with dried scallops, served with sliced ginger/spring onions, a light drizzle of light soy and white pepper.




Being Cantonese, I love my porridge boiled to a gruel to an almost creamlike texture and consistency.



Lovely comfort food which we all yearn for every so often. I cooked 2 small cups of rice with hot water and a handful of dried scallops in a crockpot before I went to work.

If anybody else thinks this is yummy, please let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course they're yuuuuummy. The eggs look gorgeous. Where did you get them if you don't mind me asking? Oh and what about salted eggs? I always get woried picking salted eggs cos you never know if they're all good.

Eleanor said...

Hi M - SS Mabohai. I can never be sure about them or salted eggs, just buy and hope for the best.