Monday, April 02, 2007

Sat, 31st March 2007

I took my mind off dinner for a moment by roasting, no, burning, a red pepper on the stove. It was very therapeutic and relaxing; just standing there, watching it blacken and blister and turning it every so often. I wished I had more peppers to burn.



When it was a complete charred knob, I popped it into a paper bag and sealed to let the steam cook it further.



Then rinsed the blackened skin off under running water and cut into thin strips. It had taken on a rich, sweet, smoky flavour and I can imagine this bottled in olive oil and light balsamic vinegar to be eaten with breads or as a side relish...

This time, I placed them on top of the vegetables which were simply baby corn, pea shoots, carrots sauteed in a bit of garlic, salt and a pince of organic vegetable stock. I topped the dish with a lot of crunchy toasted sesame seeds and that was my pledge for healthy eating that evening.



I call this my 'traffic light' vegetables due to the colours.



Next post: Steak, jacket potatoes and mushrooms. Come back soon.

No comments: