Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mon, 19th Feb 2007

Vegetarian dish, also cooked by Mum - let's see, what's inside:



- Tree fungus or 'cloud's ear', taufupok, long cabbage, mushrooms, black moss, vermicelli and beancurd skin cooked in preserved beancurd, garlic, and the usual sauces and white pepper.

I think you all can gather by now that my Mum is a fabulous cook. When we were growing up, there was always simple but beautifully cooked food for lunch and dinner everyday. When there was a special occasion such as a birthday, Chinese New Year or other significant dates in the Chinese calendar, the table will be heaving with 'special' (minced prawn balls, prawn on toast, deep fried pork ribs, braised duck, to name a few) dishes. Mum is also the master of Cantonese soups (her sharksfin soup is unbeatable) and she has passed this skill to all of us - Wm makes a vat of long boiled soup every Sunday so guess where I have dinner most Sundays??

I think my mum is one of the earlier super mums who coped with 4 kids, a household and a family plus a pretty active social life, without the help of an amah. I am woman - hear me roar!

No comments: