Saturday, August 05, 2006

Friday, 4th August 2006

I sent the sistahs an email on Monday which says "I'm bored and I want to cook - etc, etc, come and eat, drink, laugh, bi#*h, listen to cheesy music and hang out on my balcony". An instant reply came from L "OMG i want i want, etc" so I gathered she was keen. Replies came from the rest later so we were all set for a dinner party on Friday.

The makings of a great night to come - no girls party is complete without Cosmopolitans! Ingredients - vodka (use vodka citron if you have it, if not ordinary will do), cointreau, cranberry juice & lemon juice. Instead of using the measuring cup which comes with my cocktail shaker, all I did was pour stiff measures of vodka into a jug, add half the amount of
Cointreau, juice of half a lemon strained, cranberry juice and lots of ice. Stir and Serve. If you make this in a cocktail shaker, then shake (the shaker, not yourself).

This delicious but lethal combination has brought down many unsuspecting victims so proceed with caution. Otherwise, yoga mats (Wm) or couches (S) come in handy and an obliging 12 year old boy to move your legs when you lose the ability to do so ...... hahahaha wm!!



An obligatory group pic before dinner. Here's to sisterhood!



My table set in a pinky gold theme, my new runner is a gift from J who bought it for me from Bangkok. It was beautiful and it survived the night without too many food or wine stains....



S brought a block of foie gras - it was creamy, tasty and we served it with tiny circles of toasted french bread. I served it in my crystal cheese dome which I had put in the fridge earlier to chill. She also brought 2 half bottles of a very sweet white wine (Noble One Botrytis Semllion) to be served with the foie gras. The combination was wonderful. Thanks you S, you are the perfect dinner guest.



This is the 'simple' salad - iceberg & butterhead lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, sweet yellow pepper, corn, egg and broccoli. Lastly I sprinkled black pepper and parsley over and laid 2 slivers of anchovy fillets on top. The anchovies stank to high heaven but I love them. L asked why the salad was so crispy - the secret is you must remove all the seeds from the tomato and cucumber. Also after you wash the ingredients (except the corn which you drain very thoroughly), pat very dry with kitchen towels.

I made a dressing which S liked and this is my secret, and now, not so secret, recipe - chopped shallots & garlic, wholegrain and English mustard, dried parsley and mixed herbs, black pepper, salt, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and 2 ingredients which absolutely pulls the whole dressing together, light soy sauce & sugar. You can substitute soy sauce with Worcestershire sauce but I prefer soy.




The chickens before they went into the oven. It was marinated with oyster & light soy sauce, parsley, thyme, grain mustard, black pepper & salt. I made a butter paste of black pepper, thyme and salt and inserted under the skin with lots on the breast. The chickens were roasted with whole garlic cloves and onions. When they are done, remove the pan juices, turn and return the chickens to the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up the skin. Let them rest for at least 20 minutes, debone and slice in long thin slices.



The sauce was made by concentrating the pan drippings, adding lots sliced mushrooms, lots coarse black pepper, more thyme, parsley and cream. It was very very rich.

Here we are again, before tucking in.




And finally - spot the 'fake' smoker:



There's nothing I like more than cooking for people and having them appreciate and enjoy my food, setting my table, deciding on crockery and cutlery, choosing the tablecloth and napkins, fussing over placecards and napkin rings, and the excitement and stress of putting together a meal and sweating in a hot kitchen. I've catered for up to 30 people. I should have been a cook! ok chef. Oh the evening ended with a cha cha cha demo by J & S to Santana's Corazon Espinado. So. Cool.

Music:

Gimme gime gimme - Abba (feng tau/techno mix)
Twisted Transistor - Korn
November Rain - Guns n Roses
I should have known better - Jim Diamond
Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Disco Inferno - 50 cent
Bad Boys Blue versus Modern Talking
and more

I know, I know, my taste in music is soooo rojak.

No comments: