Monday, December 11, 2006

Saturday, 9th December 2006

I had to be prised from my bed at 6.30 pm to get ready for dinner. ( I came down with a nasty allergy attack at lunch earlier and when I got home, downed an antihistamine which did wonders in stopping the itchy watery eyes, sniffles and sneezing but knocked me out for six and it was absolute murder getting up. But I can't let people down so I dragged my sorry self into the shower and was ready by 7.30 pm.

This was what I wore - my new garage sale wraparound kimono top *see price tag still attached*, jeans and my old Chanel.



Starters

Little rings of toasts with salmon pate & chicken liver pate. These were very, very ordinary. The chicken liver pate was runny and coarse at the same time, a strange combination. Seasoning was dull. Blah. Add brandy and flambe the darn thing, add thyme, add cream, add black pepper, sea salt, add garlic - go on, be bold. It'll taste so much better.



Tomato Bruschetta. Woolly tomatoes.



M had Pork Cordon Bleu - was that mushroom sauce?



S's Penne with Tomato Sauce



D had Grilled lamb chops. Again, tough.



This was wonderful although it was dory. Light, lemony sauce and the fish was moist on the inside, crisp on the outside.



P had lambshanks with mash potatoes - the layer of white fat looks scary, doesn't it. So so - quite tasty but could have been braised in a more flavourful sauce. Mushroom sauce (tin mushrooms).



I had a grilled ribeye steak, why does it taste 'frozen and thawed'? Tough meat fibres. Didn't taste of cow at all. Flavourless pepper sauce. And I asked for medium rare, knowing that most restaurants rarely get the doneness right, in the hope that I will get a medium doneness. The steak ended up being medium well done.



The desserts.

Tiramisu - still frozen with icy particles inside. It tasted like a lump of semi frozen cream with a topping of chocolate.



Mango crepes with cornstarchy custard.



Lovely choc fudge. A winner - real chocolate and not brown colouring and choc essence.



Baked cheesecake - pretty good.



Pavlova with fresh fruits and whipped cream.



Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream - very nice, served warm, lightly spiced.



Coffee topped with cream.

No comments: