Saturday, September 02, 2006

Saturday, 2nd September 2006

I did not cook my lamb dinner last night as the kids were not very hungry (nor was I) so here it is, finally. The kids were ravenous after their 1.5 hr swimming lesson.

Step by step to roast leg of lamb

1. Buy meat (I tried to go to KL on Friday morning but saw the mile long queue and gave up, so I joined the enthusiastic crowd who turned up to witness the opening of a supermarket in Bengkurong). Their chilled meats looked clean and fresh and based on that, I decided to buy half a leg.

2. Defrost, wash, trim and dry meat.

3. Marinate with chopped garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley, salt & pepper, olive oil and light soy sauce.




4. Marinate meat overnight in fridge and let it come to room temperature before roasting. Roast approx 1 hr + in a medium oven. ( Like I said, my oven temp gauge broke down ages ago, so its mostly guesswork and understanding of the volatile and cranky oven)..

5. Meat is done when juices run light pink when you insert a skewer into thickest part of meat.



6. Remove from roasting pan and rest the meat in a warm place for at least half an hour to 45 minutes.



7. Carve into thin slices.

8. Drain pan juices into a saucepan. Season if required. Add a tablespoon of bisto and some cream or milk. Add some lamb herbs and some mint sauce. Simmer till thickened.

6. Potatoes were seasoned with s & p, olive oil, butter, garlic and breadcrumbs. Roast till the sides are crunchy and slightly charred and you can hear them whistling in the oven.



7. Serve. Between the 3 of us, we ate almost all the potatoes.... I roasted some sweet potatoes as well but they didn't touch them. We had some boiled petit pois tossed in garlic butter too - no pic of this.

No comments: