Thursday, September 14, 2006

Monday, 11th September 2006

Z asked me round as her mum was cooking mee siam. The opportunity to have Z's Mum's meesiam does not come round easily and I only get to eat it once or twice a year. Of course, I readily agreed. The second purpose was to view her loot from her recent trip to that city somewhere in Europe. When I arrived, I discovered that it was also a combined birthday party for her kids. Sorry, x & x, I did not bring pressies..

First the food:

The Mee Siam



Authentic mee siam. So so yummy. Fried meehoon with spices. The toppings : hardboiled eggs cut into wedges, fried tofu cubes, prawn sambal, garlic chives, and half limes. The gravy is served on the side and after you assemble the meesiam with the toppings, you drench gravy over it. It's slighty sweet, sour and very very sambley. I had two helpings.

(The mee siam was placed on the dessert table, but moved to the main dining area after these pics were taken - there was a massive selection of desserts; fruits, cheese platter, cendol, little fruit tarts and sweet pastry).

The Barbeque



There were prawns, lamb chops, beef patties, chicken wings and garlic beef sausages. I had 2 chicken wings and shared a beef pattie with Z. The wings were well marinated and I must get the recipe from K. The beef pattie was good too, juicy and very very beefy. There were burger buns, lettuce and tomatoes to make your own burger but I could not manage that.



The Main Courses

Nasi Minyak
Plain Rice
Ayam masak merah
Beancurd sticks and vermicelli with light coconut gravy
Sweet and sour fish



All the main courses were catered by a home cook and they were all delicious and very well prepared. I think you will agree with me when I say that you can taste and feel it if food has been prepared with care, attention and pride. Again, I had two big helpings.

I was trying to appear as inconspicuous as I could taking photographs of food when there were so many hungry people around me but I managed a few quick shots for the sake of my blog.

Close ups of the main courses.

The beancurd and the ayam masak merah.



The nasi minyak and sweet and sour fish.



Later, I sat down with S who was trying to encourage me to go back to that gym at the Mall. (He did not succeed). While we were talking, I had watermelon and honewdew melon, followed by a tub of cendol and some birthday cake. I left happily at 10.30 pm clutching on to a doggie bag of meesiam carefully packed by Z's mum.. THANK YOU, Auntie. (Wm had that as we all know now that I embarked on a diet the following day).

p.s The loot from that city was JAW DROPPINGLY GORGEOUS. I cooed and oohed and touched and felt and sniffed and sighed and admired and stroked each and every single item.... Even the ribbons, boxes, dustbags, camelias, receipts, guarantee cards, and the way they had folded and pleated the packing tissues did not escape my attention and were all lovingly admired and studied. sigh......

No comments: