Friday, September 01, 2006

Saturday, 24th December 2005

My biggest turkey yet at 8 kgs - it was so heavy in the pan that I had to baste it on the floor throughout its roasting stage. I think there was general agreement that last year's was the best yet, the turkey was tender, juicy and moist, even the breast was tender enough to be eaten without gravy or cranberry sauce... The bones were turned into a delicious gamey turkey soup with whole white peppercorns, bay leaves and whole onions and chunky carrots.

Only an hour roasting time left. I removed the foil after this basting and allowed the skin to brown and the bacon to crisp.



Every year since 1999, we've had a homecooked turkey with all the trimmings at my place every Christmas. It is now a tradition to wear red or green during these dinners and every year it just gets bigger and bigger, more food, bigger turkey, more presents, more elaborate decor. I love Christmas and can't wait for December.



Hazel's place setting.



Here we all are except me.

No comments: