Thursday, June 01, 2006

Wednesday, 31st May 2006

Its the 45th anniversary of the Royal Brunei Armed Forces. Every year M, H & I will make our way to wherever they are having their exhibits and spend a good half day there. All their military hardware is displayed and the kids always have a good time climbing onto the tanks, trucks, fire engines, rescue boats, playing with GUNS (how un-PC, mum), looking at and touching real missiles, launchers and artillery.


H having a "I'm the king of the world' moment on the rescue boat.
M launching from the Mistral.

I was slightly hungover after last night's lethal combination of beer, white & red wine and no dinner. It was raining and the combination of the smell of the unwashed crowd, the heat and the rain made me feel very 'tired' but I had a good time anyway.

We loved this. We were allowed to try army rations. Here's M, tucking into a plate of beef balls and rice. He washed it down with a high energy strawberry drink. They also had fish curry with rice but we didn't try it.



On the way back to the car, we passed the typical Brunei food stalls. Guess what these slightly noduley looking orange coloured things are? All strung on skewers and barbequed and its only $1 for a stick.... eeekkks - I've never plucked up the courage to try these... (ok, they are chicken butts)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did the army rations taste like? From experience, they're disgusting (Hayd had some in the bottom of a kitchen drawer at home and we were feeling daring...it came out looking like puke). But maybe Bruneian rations taste better than Kiwi ones (full of lentils and other starchy things I think, and I don't like starchy, powdery textured things...). At least M looks like he's enjoying it!

One thing I don't miss about Brunei - the unwashed crowds eeeew. Definitely missing the heat right now though; it's getting colder here =(

Aren't chicken butts just fatty meat? I don't think I'd eat one, but I remember Aunty C used to looove them and D and I would be like, "...Yuuuck...".

Haha H looks very cute standing on that rescue boat.

Eleanor said...

Mark went "it's quite nice, Mum" but I didn't want to attempt it.. hehe I tried a dry biscuit and it was quite good - like a baby rusk for babies to chomp on when teething but a whole lot harder I think.

Chicken butt is just a huge lump of fat with veiney bits inside, and try not to look at the 'exit' part... eeeeeewww