Friday, April 28, 2006

Thursday, 27th April 2006

After work, I went to the club and worked on my blog a little while watching the results show of this week's American Idol. Later Z joined me and we had a quick natter about our never ending handbag stories, diet disasters, food, wishlists, holidays, etc, etc, etc, while demolishing the cashews and crisps. Was home by 6 pm and look what I cooked for my kids. Their favourite - pasta with chicken, mushroom, bacon cream sauce. M had 2 huge plates and H had 1 plate.

The recipe cannot get any easier. Slice chicken breast, mushrooms and chop 1 small onion & 1 small clove garlic. Cut bacon into squares and fry till lightly browned (don't forget to drain and blot). In a non stick pan, fry garlic & onion till transparent, add sliced chicken breasts, add some mixed herbs & dried parsley, black pepper and fry till everything looks yummy. Throw in mushrooms and continue frying till mushrooms are soft - add a small packet of cream & some milk, the fried bacon and simmer gently. Add some corn starch diluted with more milk if sauce is too runny. You don't need to add salt as the bacon is quite salty. Pile sauce on freshly boiled pasta. M had tagliatelle with macaroni and H had macaroni only. She tried to suck the sauce throught the little tubes but couldn't as the sauce was thick but it didn't stop her from trying!

I had leftover fried rice from yesterday and some wintermelon soup with carrots, mushrooms, dried scallops, dried orange peel and chicken stock. After dinner, I spent the entire evening burning CDs from my ancient Dell PC from year 2000, which happens to have some great songs on it (how about a rare extended 8 minute version of Phil Collins' "In the air tonight") with 2 very nice glasses of chilled chardonnay. M and I read, and laughed at jokes from a very very politically incorrect joke book and he cringed at some of my songs. Later he spent an hour on the PS2 while H was at tuition. I could tell she was home at 8.45 pm when i heard a "heeellllllllllloooooooooo, I'm HOME!!!!!" as soon as she came in. And as it was a Thursday, she was allowed an hour playing with, and training her 'dogs' on Nintendogs.

Here are some pics from a very pleasant evening.

No comments: