Saturday, October 28, 2006

Thursday, 26th October 2006

I was thrilled on Thursday as my second attempt at tumeric chicken was a smash if I may say so. I have always wanted to know why the fried chicken in Indian or Malay restaurants taste so good and how they make it.

Z's mum makes fantastic crispy fried chicken wings but her recipe is very closely guarded. Another girlfriend told me her recipe and I tried it out last week. It was good but I felt that something was lacking and far from what I have tasted, and although I know its msg, I tweaked the recipe on Thursday and decided to add fresh grated tumeric in addition to its powder form. Success!

The tumeric/ginger bits turned very crunchy and clung to the crispy skin of the chicken. Crispy bursts of flavour in every bite..

Recipe:

Slashed chicken drumsticks
Wings - found some really tiny ones in SS but on they other hand, they cook really quickly
Fresh grated tumeric
Fresh grated ginger
Salt
Lime juice

Wash and pat very dry meat. Smother with marinade, overnight. Fry in very hot oil. Drain and serve.

Here they are in their raw state. Let meat come to room temperature before you fry them.



In the hot oil:



Drain on kitchen towels:



I'll definitely make these again. Would any readers out there share their tumeric chicken recipes?

No comments: